The Google Gadget Editor is no longer available. See instructions HERE
Here is an alternative:
- Use a plain text editor (Notepad). Start with the gadget text below.
- Replace the title "My Gadget" with an appropriate title.
- Replace "My code" with your gadget code.
- Save it to to your computer with the filetype '.xml'.
- Go to Google Drive.
- Create Folder (Name your folder and set Share to Public).
- Upload your xml file to it
- Select the file.
- Click the Share button at the top of the page.
- Click Advanced in the bottom right corner of the sharing box.
- Click Change....
- Choose On - Public on the web and click Save.
- Before closing the sharing box, copy the document ID from the URL in the field below "Link to share". The document ID is a string of uppercase and lowercase letters and numbers between slashes in the URL. Example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B28Gtf1n8u8DemhIN2I3dl9oZFE/view?usp=sharing
- Create a URL that looks like https://www.googledrive.com/host/[doc id] where [doc id] is replaced by the document ID you copied in the previous step. Example: https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B28Gtf1n8u8DemhIN2I3dl9oZFE
- Open the Google Sites Page (where you want to add your script).
- Edit the page
- Insert>>More Gadgets>>Add gadget by URL.
- Paste the link from step 14 into the box.
Note: Hosting these files in Google Drive is being discontinued so I recommend using DropBox instead. You can also host your XML files in a file cabinet page in a Google site. HTML files will have to be converted to gadgets. See This Site
You can also install a 3rd party App to use with Drive to edit your gadget directly from Drive.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<ModulePrefs title="hello world example" />
The above instructions have been revised to follow what is suggested by the current Google Drive help instructions.
Note that it now says:
On August 31, 2015, web hosting in Google Drive will be deprecated. You can continue to use this feature until August 31st, 2016, but after that, googledrive.com/host/ID will no longer work.
More gadget instructions from Google